Juventus set to announce signing of Emre Can from Liverpool

Emre Can has failed to agree a new contract with Liverpool and will leave on a free transfer (Picture: Getty)Juventus are set to announce the signing of Emre Can from Liverpool but will wait until after the Champions League final to do so.

The Germany international, currently sidelined with an injury that will keep him out of the match against Real Madrid in Kiev on May 26, has been stalling on signing an extension with the Merseysiders and can leave on a free transfer this summer.

Reports last week claimed the Germany international had already agreed a five-year deal and Corriere dello Sport understand the deal will be confirmed 24 hours after Liverpool attempt to win their sixth European crown in Kiev.

More: Football

Jurgen Klopp had hoped to keep his compatriot at Anfield and as recently as last month claimed the two parties were still negotiating with Can hopeful of securing a salary in excess of £200,000-a-week.

He said: ‘Where the situation is at, at the moment: open.

‘That’s what we [have] said before, nothing is decided, it’s open. We are in talks with him and it’s all good so far, apart from him signing a contract for us, that’s all. ‘No problem with that.’

The loss of Can will be offset by the arrival of Naby Keita from RB Leipzig, whose signing was confirmed earlier this season, but Klopp will still be concerned about his lack of central midfield options with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain unlikely to be fit for the start of the new season following a serious knee-ligament injury.

More: Liverpool FC

 

Arsenal to submit bid for Benfica winger Andrija Zivkovic when summer transfer window opens

Andrija Zivkovic has impressed since signing for Benfica in 2016 (Picture: Getty)Arsenal are ready to submit an official offer for Benfica winger Andrija Zivkovic when the summer transfer window opens, according to reports.

Zivkovic, 21, has made an impressive impact at Portuguese outfit Benfica since signing from his boyhood club Partizan Belgrade in 2016.

The Serbia international’s performances helped Benfica win the domestic title last season, while he featured in the Champions League this term, facing Manchester United in the group stage.

More: Football

But with Benfica’s title defence set to end in failure – Porto lead the standings by seven points ahead of the final day of the season – the club plan to have a clear-out and sell a number of players.

Zivkovic is no stranger to Premier League interest – he was scouted by Manchester United and Liverpool last season – and he has now caught the attention of Arsenal.

According to Sport Witness, the Gunners will make an offer for Zivkovic once the summer window opens, having been impressed on a number of scouting missions.

The Serb was linked with Manchester United and Liverpool last year (Picture: Getty)

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

It is claimed the player’s entourage are excited about the possibility of signing at the Emirates and that he has a release clause written into his current contract worth around £53million.

Arsene Wenger is set to leave Arsenal after 22 years this weekend and he believes the club only need to make ‘two or three’ signings to compete for the Premier League next season.

The Gunners will finish sixth this season, having also missed out on the top four last year.

More: Football

Speaking after his departure was confirmed last month, Wenger said: ‘I want to say this team has quality.

‘Two years ago we finished second in the league, last year we made 75 points, won the FA cup, won the Charity Shield, we were in the League Cup final we are in semi-final of Europa League.

‘So these players have quality, hopefully we can show that again before end of the season. Convinced in the future with two or three additions this team can fight for the championship.’

MORE: Claude Puel speaks out over Riyad Mahrez’s long-term future at Leicester City

Jurgen Klopp sends message to Gareth Southgate over taking Trent Alexander-Arnold to the World Cup

Trent is in his second season in the senior Liverpool side (Picture: Getty)Jurgen Klopp has made a strong recommendation to Gareth Southgate over taking Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold to the World Cup.

The 19-year-old has played 29 times this season, including nine appearances for the Reds during their superb Champions League run to the final which is set to finish in Kiev when they face Real Madrid on May 26.

And his impressive performances have earned high praise from the Liverpool boss, who thinks Southgate should consider including Alexander-Arnold in his England squad, of which he’s set to announce on Wednesday.

More: Football

‘I am a fan of Trent,’ said Klopp. ‘That’s why he plays very often, and because he plays on a high level.

‘He’s developed over the past year. Mentally he didn’t have to improve but physically he did.

The defender has scored twice this season (Picture: Getty)More: Liverpool FC

‘I’m not Gareth Southgate, but if he needed a player who can play right-back and maybe other positions too, I think he would be a good choice. If Gareth needs him, he’d be ready.’

Alexander-Arnold is yet to make his debut for the senior England side, but he has represented the nation at Under-16, 17, 18, 19 and 21 level.

MORE: Next Arsenal manager odds: Arteta second favourite behind Allegri

Jurgen Klopp names Pep Guardiola as his Premier League Manager of the Season

Jurgen Klopp believes Pep Guardiola deserves to be named Manager of the Season (Picture: Getty)Jurgen Klopp has picked out Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola as his Premier League Manager of the Season.

City have dominated the English top flight this term and sealed the title in mid-April following Manchester United’s shock defeat to West Brom at Old Trafford.

Guardiola’s side have broken a number of records in the process including most the most victories, the most goals and the most points in a single campaign.

The likes of Roy Hodgson and Rafael Benitez have been touted as contenders for the Manager of the Season award, but Klopp is adamant that Guardiola deserves the prize.

‘Pep obviously has been impressive for the season… but I’m pretty close,’ he joked ahead of Liverpool’s clash with Southampton.

Pep Guardiola’s side secured the Premier League title last month (Picture: Getty)‘David Wagner and Chris Hughton, Sean Dyche, should also be close. They have done a fantastic job in a tough league.

‘Rafa [Benitez], wow. All three promoted teams staying up is a massive achievement.’

Liverpool are preparing to take on Southampton (Picture: Getty)Klopp stressed that he has temporarily put the Champions League to the back of his mind and is fully focused on this weekend’s match with Southampton.

‘People told me good luck for [the Champions League final] at the LFC awards last night,’ he said.

‘But right now it’s onto the next challenge. We need to deliver on Sunday again. It’s not a farewell thing.

More: Football

‘It’s a proper competition against a strong football team. Having no pressure, like Brighton do, can be quite positive. That’s the situation we face.

‘A lot of things can happen in football but we have eleven players and we will try and make sure we play Champions League again next year.’

MORE: Chelsea handed Thibaut Courtois injury boost ahead of FA Cup final against Manchester United

Mohamed Salah responds to Real Madrid rumours at Liverpool Players’ awards

Mohamed Salah was the main man at Liverpool’s end-of-season awards (Picture: Getty)Mohamed Salah insists he’s ‘very happy’ at Liverpool amid speculation linking him with a big-money summer move to Real Madrid.

The 25-year-old has had a record-breaking debut campaign on Merseyside, scoring 43 goals in all competitions, and scooped the club’s two main prizes at their end-of-season awards on Thursday evening.

Salah was named the Player of the Year and the Players’ Player for his heroics across the campaign and his comments after lifting the awards will have been music to the ears of Liverpool supporters.

More: Football

Madrid are understood to be lining up a bid to sign Salah ahead of the 2018/19 campaign but the Egyptian shut down these rumours.

‘I’m very happy here and everything is fine. I have got ambitions for the future, with ­Liverpool,’ Salah said.

The Egyptian has scored 43 goals for Liverpool this term (Picture: Getty)‘We had a great season and now we are in the Champions League final, and everyone is excited. It is just the start. This is my first year here and it is the same for some other players.

‘We have had an unbelievable year. It is just the beginning.’

Mohamed Salah was named Football Writers’ ­Association Footballer of the Year (Picture: Getty)Salah also collected his Football Writers’ ­Association Footballer of the Year award on Thursday night and the forward thanked his team-mates for their contribution.

He said: ‘I am very happy to win these awards. I had a good season but, without the help of my team-mates, it would have been very difficult.

More: Football

‘We all try to help each other. We all try to give more and we all try to push each other.

‘We are a team who fight for each other every day. I work hard to help my team. Now I want to finish the season in a good way.’

MORE: Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson sets Guinness World Record

Nabil Fekir responds to Liverpool transfer speculation

Nabil Fekir has been linked with a £62million move to Liverpool this summer (Picture: Getty)Lyon midfielder Nabil Fekir has revealed the French club will not stand in his way if he opts to seek a new challenge in the summer.

The France international has been heavily linked with a £62million move to Liverpool, with Jurgen Klopp having reportedly identified the 24-year-old as a long-term replacement for Philippe Coutinho who joined Barcelona in January.

Fekir’s father denied claims earlier this week that Klopp had already met with the talented playmaker, but Fekir Jnr admits he will leave Lyon at some point in the future.

More: Football

‘The president (Jean-Michel Aulas) told me, like he told everyone else when they signed their contracts, that we have the possibility to talk whenever I want to leave,’ Fekir told L’Equipe via Goal.com.

‘Nobody signs for life in a club. It doesn’t work like that.

Nabi Fekir is idolise by Lyon’s fans (Picture: Getty)‘But I don’t have a free pass to leave. I have a contract until 2020. I’ll let destiny handle the rest.

‘I’m in Lyon for two more games and then we’ll see. For now, there’s nothing.

‘The president trusts me and I feel good at Lyon.’

More: Liverpool FC

Steven Gerrard backs Liverpool to beat Real Madrid in Champions League final

Steven Gerrard believes Liverpool can cause an upset (Picture: Getty)Steven Gerrard insists his former club Liverpool have a ‘really good chance’ of beating Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

Liverpool will face reigning champions Real in Kiev on May 26 in their first final in the tournament since 2007.

Jurgen Klopp’s side beat Porto, Manchester City and Roma in the knockout stages after topping their group with three victories and three draws.

More: Football

Real Madrid have been equally as impressive, defeating Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus and Bayern Munich as they bid to secure a hat-trick of Champions League wins.

Liverpool legend Gerrard, who recently left a role at the club’s academy to join Rangers, told Sport360: ‘I think we’ve got a really good chance.

‘I wouldn’t say on current form we’re going into the game as underdogs. But, I suppose, Jurgen Klopp and the boys will want to go in as underdogs because it takes a little bit of pressure off.

Liverpool and Real Madrid will face off in Kiev (Picture: Getty)‘I think the form they’ve been in, how they’ve performed in the last two games against Roma, especially with Mohamed Salah.

‘I think we go in with every confidence and belief that we can get the job done.’

Despite the magnitude of the Champions League final, Klopp is keen for his Liverpool players to focus on the job in hand as they face Brighton this weekend.

More: Football

Chelsea’s frustrating draw against Huddersfield Town means Liverpool will finish fourth if they do not get beaten against Brighton on Sunday.

The Reds will be without Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Joe Gomez, however, after both picked up season-ending injuries.

MORE: Jose Mourinho provides Romelu Lukaku injury update ahead of FA Cup final v Chelsea

Liverpool eye move for Manchester United and Arsenal’s £40m transfer target Malcom

Liverpool have joined the race to sign Brazilian forward Malcom (Picture: Getty)Liverpool have entered the race to sign Brazilian star Malcom from Bordeaux, according to reports.

Manchester United, Arsenal and Tottenham have all expressed interest in signing the 21-year-old forward in the past year.

But Liverpool are looking to beat their Premier League rivals to a summer deal as Jurgen Klopp bids to bolster his attacking options.

More: Football

The Reds are set for a top-four finish this season and could yet win the Champions League – they face Real Madrid in the final in Kiev later in the month.

But Klopp knows further spending is necessary to keep up with Liverpool’s rivals and he has identified Malcom as a top target, according to the Daily Mail.

Malcom, who has scored 21 goals in 94 appearances for Bordeaux since signing from Corinthians in 2016, is one of the most highly-rated players in Ligue 1.

Manchester United and Arsenal are also interested in the Bordeaux star (Picture: Getty)He was heavily linked with Manchester United and Arsenal over the winter and looks destined to finally leave for the Premier League at the end of the season.

Liverpool have included Malcom on a shortlist of targets that also includes Bayer Leverkusen’s Leon Bailey and Borussia Dortmund’s Christian Pulisic.

Malcom is valued at around £40million and Bordeaux have essentially confirmed he will be sold this summer.

Nicolas de Tavernost, one of the French club’s majority shareholders, said last month: ‘There is a major player from Brazil who you know wants to leave the club and we will do that in all of our interests.

Jurgen Klopp is keen to bolster Liverpool’s squad this summer (Picture: EPA)‘It is the reason we bought this player in the first place, to eventually sell him in between seasons.’

Recent reports suggested Liverpool were also closing in on a deal for Nabil Fekir, the Lyon and France ace.

More: Football

But the player’s father has dismissed the rumours by saying: ‘Nabil in Liverpool? That’s wrong. I hear there are arrangements, stuff like that… I was surprised.

‘I can deny this information right now. It’s not true. Otherwise Nabil would have told me right away, we are very close.’

MORE: Liverpool target Jorginho tells friends Maurizio Sarri wants to take him to Chelsea

Manchester United and Liverpool transfer target Jorginho tells friends Maurizio Sarri wants to take him to Chelsea

Napoli ace Jorginho is a target for a host of Premier League clubs (Picture: Getty)Manchester United and Liverpool target Jorginho has reportedly told friends that his current manager, Maurizio Sarri, wants to take him to Chelsea if he replaces Antonio Conte.

Conte looks set for the exit door at Stamford Bridge with Chelsea on the verge of missing out on a top-four finish just a year after winning the Premier League.

Sarri, the 59-year-old Italian who has worked at Napoli for the past three years, is considered one of the favourites to replace Conte in west London.

More: Football

One of Sarri’s most influential players in Naples has been Jorginho, the Italy midfielder has featured in over 150 games for Napoli since signing from Verona in 2014.

Jorginho is attracting interest from each member of the Premier League’s top six and, according to The Times, expects to move to England this summer.

It is claimed Manchester City, Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham have all scouted the Italian extensively in recent weeks and hope to secure his signature for around £53million.

Maurizio Sarri is in line to replace Antonio Conte at Chelsea (Picture: Getty)But Chelsea are also in the hunt and the player has reportedly told friends that he believes Sarri would be keen to sign him if he replaces Conte at the end of the season.

Recent reports suggested Manchester United were leading the race to sign Jorginho but his agent insists there has been no contact from Old Trafford chiefs.

‘I heard that Jorge Mendes would like to take him [Jorginho] to United but I do not know anything about it, nobody called me,’ Joao Santos told Radio CRC.

‘At the moment, given the two-year contract with Napoli, the last word is up to De Laurentiis [Napoli’s president].

Italy international Jorginho is valued at over £50m (Picture: Getty)More: Football

‘Everyone asks for information, but nobody has made any official offers so I can’t say which track is hotter.

‘I’ve already been to all the English clubs because that’s my job, I get information.

‘If he were to leave Napoli I can say that Jorginho wouldn’t play for any other team, even if he didn’t have any release clause.’

MORE: Marcos Alonso slams ‘time-wasting’ Huddersfield Town after Chelsea draw

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain watched Liverpool’s defeat of Roma from hospital bed – shares devastating picture

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is expected to return to action at the start of next season (Picture: Getty)Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has shared a heart-wrenching photograph of his view for the second leg of Liverpool’s Champions League victory over Roma.

The 24-year-old midfielder was stretchered off in the 18th minute of the first leg at Anfield – which ended 5-2 to the Reds – and it was later confirmed that he had sustained a serious knee injury.

With Oxlade-Chamberlain reaching top form ahead of Liverpool’s Champions League final and this summer’s World Cup, the injury could not have come at a worse time.

However, the England international is remaining positive after successful surgery on his knee and is expected to be back in time for the start of next season.

More: Football

Liverpool secured their place in the final despite a 4-2 defeat at the Stadio Olimpico and Oxlade-Chamberlain was forced to watch the match from his hospital bed.

‘Watching the boys in Rome last week taking us one step closer to something very special,’ Oxlade-Chamberlain posted on Instagram on Thursday.

‘Knee surgery was a success and the hard work has already begun.’

Jurgen Klopp is looking forward to working with Oxlade-Chamberlain again in 2018/19.

‘I cannot believe this wonderful player and person – in such a positive situation helping the team – has something like this happen,’ Klopp said.

‘It is a shame. It is not fair, to be honest.

More: Football

‘This is how life is sometimes. If you get a lemon, get a lemonade from it.

‘He will be back. We will wait for him like a good wife when a man is in prison.’

MORE: Football king Cristiano Ronaldo’s next goal is to conquer the small screen with a TV series